I'm a software engineer with experience in React and Rails.
I take web applications from design to implementation and I'm comfortable working in both the front and back end.
I have a background in object oriented programming, as well as visual design, and I use my broad experience to bring applications to life.
Frameworks: React, Redux, Ruby on Rails, AngularJS, Django, Node
Databases: PostgreSQL, SQLite, MongoDB
Tools: Git, Webpack, Docker, GraphQL, jQuery, Bootstrap
Concepts: Object-oriented programming, AJAX, RESTful architecture/APIs, TDD
Software: Linux, Photoshop, Illustrator
Art Institute Explorer
A full stack application to explore artworks from the Art Institute of Chicago. Users can search through the museum’s catalog and add artworks to custom collections.
- Integrated a React front end with a Rails back end to interact with the Art Institute API.
- Implemented feature to save artworks and create collections using React forms, ActiveRecord relationships, and a PostgreSQL database.
- Used Redux to manage state for the front end and store data from API requests.
A web application for writers to plan and share their work-in-progress stories. Users can organize their stories into chapters and include characters, genres, and target audiences.
- Developed a high coverage test suite including unit, controller, and integration tests using RSpec and Capybara.
- Implemented user authentication with Facebook using the Devise and OmniAuth gems.
- Utilized AWS S3 and Active Storage to implement user image uploads and allow for scalability of image services.
A text adventure system for non-linear storytelling and branching user choices. Keeps track of user’s decisions and interprets them over the course of the narrative.
- Designed a story production pipeline for CSV to JSON files which are then parsed and loaded in game.
React Google News
A React front end application using the Google News API. Displays news stories from different sources in a reflowable grid structure.
- Developed a simple Node and Express back end to interact with external API and reroute responses to the front end.
- Used Webpack with custom configurations using Webpack-Merge to optimize project for development and production.
A front end AngularJS web application for viewing the Steam Store using the Storefront API. Displays games for currently trending categories and in-depth product info for individual games.
- Migrated legacy code for AngularJS into a modern Webpack build process to improve performance and maintainability.
- Implemented AngularJS Material for layout and styling to achieve a unified, professional aesthetic.
A Flask application to practice trading stocks using the IEX Cloud API. Users can buy and sell stocks based on current market prices.
- Developed a Flask back end in Python to track transactions, calculate gains and losses, and store user data in a PostgreSQL database with SQLAlchemy and Alembic.
- Leveraged external APIs including IEX to get real time stock data as well as News API to provide related articles.
A Django application for creating journal entries and tracking mood. Users can record events, activities, and cognitive distortions, and leverage associations between them.
- Developed a Django back end in Python to manage user authentication, process models, and calculate statistics for journal entries.
A Rails/AngularJS web application for artists to curate and share their sketches. Users can upload images and filter them based on tags.
- Developed a Rails back end API using serializers to enable front end CRUD requests.
- Integrated Active Storage with AngularJS to handle image uploading for AWS S3.
A Rails/jQuery web application to create and sort notes. Uses jQuery to communicate asynchronously with a Rails JSON API.
A social networking application built with Rails. Users can discover each other based on interests and send messages.
Steam Top Sellers CLI Gem
A Ruby command line application to get the top selling games on Steam. Queries external API and parses JSON responses into custom classes.